It’s the foundation of our wireless technology offer and the main reason why we are perceived as the most reliable and resilient connectivity solution on the market. But WHAT is it, WHAT does it do and WHY should you care?! Read below to get a crash course in Cognitive Coexistence – the DNA of LumenRadio.
What is it?
Cognitive Coexistence is LumenRadio’s technology for real-time chaotic adaptive frequency-hopping. Whoa…that’s a long and complicated term! Fear not, let’s break it down and explain it:
- Real-time, means that it happens very often (every 10ms to be exact), all the time. It also means that decisions are taken (all the time) based on the most recent input from the devices in a network.
- Chaotic, means not pre-set or pre-determined – as in without any limitations in flexibility (although following some pre-defined rules).
- Adaptive, means that it adjusts on-the-fly to the environment in which your devices are deployed. If something changes, self-induced or outside your control, then the network changes with it.
- Frequency-hopping, means that the network continuously changes the channel on which it transmits information. Every 10 ms the network moves to a new channel, carefully selected from all available channels in the frequency band.
What does it do?
- Above all, it makes the communication more reliable and more resilient than other solutions. This would be the equivalent of having a higher First-Pass-Yield in a production line, which is one of the keys to remaining efficient in your operations. Or having a higher Batting Average or Field-Goal Percentage, to use some sports analogies.
- It also leaves room for other wireless equipment, as it (primarily for selfish reasons, see above) avoids others operating in the same frequency band in the same physical environment. We are hence a model citizen from an RF coexistence perspective – we don’t succeed on someone else’s expense. This actually gives us permission to transmit with a higher output power from a regulatory perspective (see also below). You can also see this as CIO insurance…messing with your end users’ WiFi is extremely unpopular and rarely goes un-punished.
Why is this important for you?
- If you’re building wireless products for industrial/professional applications they simply have to work – today, tomorrow and every day thereafter. Independent of the present radio environment and how it might change. If you believe that the number of wireless devices deployed around us will increase going forward, having some kind of interference mitigation solution probably is a wise move.
- Higher reliability also means less re-transmissions, which in turn translates into lower power consumption and lower overall latency in the network. This is one of the keys to enabling building meshing networks of battery-operated devices, without completely sacrificing responsiveness.
- Our ability to transmit with a higher output power (100 mW vs. normally 10 mW) gives you the extra horsepower needed to efficiently connect a complete building – penetrating floors and walls, and creating more responsive networks (through fewer hops).
What does it mean for LumenRadio?
- We live and breathe reliability. If you strip us down, you will see Cognitive Coexistence tattooed on our chests. It is the innovation on which our company was founded, and one of the reasons we will become even more relevant tomorrow.
- It is also a technology that’s embedded in all our products without exception – independent of if it’s an HVAC sensor or a Professional Lighting fixture, it’s always there. Which also means that any product carrying the LumenRadio brand always is engineered towards reliability. In other words: Wireless Without Worries!
Don’t miss the second part in our “for Dummies” blog trilogy explaining why network time synchronization is so important in mesh networks and what customer benefits it could enable.